SW Redmond robbery suspect flees police, apartment barricaded; 5-hour stalemate ends in surrender


REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ) — Security video helped Redmond police locate a suspect in the theft of items Sunday from a van parked at Wilco Farm Stores, who minutes later allegedly stole items from a store in renovation Lowe’s Home and fled to a nearby apartment, causing a nearly 5-hour standoff and his eventual surrender.

The man reportedly barricaded himself at Ridgemont Apartments, prompting the evacuation of some neighbors and emergency alerts to other area residents. It ended with his arrest on multiple counts. Police said further charges are possible as he is also suspected of other recent thefts from commercial parking lots in the area.

Police were dispatched around 9:35 a.m. to the reported theft of items from the back of a van parked at the Wilco Farm Store on SW Odem Medo Way, Lt. April Huey said.

Officers reviewed the store’s surveillance video and were able to identify the suspect vehicle, a silver Chevy Trailblazer. It matched the description of a vehicle believed to be associated with several recent thefts from commercial parking lots in recent weeks, Huey said.

Shortly after 10 a.m., police found the SUV unoccupied in Lowe’s parking lot on SW Canal Boulevard, Huey said. Officers established a perimeter around the Trailblazer, learning that the man entered the store and allegedly stole items.

He returned to his SUV, got in and fled the parking lot, hitting several unattended shopping carts, then jumping a curb to leave the parking lot and evade officers, heading southwest from Lowe’s, Huey said.

The lieutenant said officers had information that the 29-year-old man from Redmond was associated with a unit from the Ridgemont Apartments at South West 19e Street. That’s where police found the SUV parked, with stolen items just outside, Huey said.

Witnesses and neighbors told officers they saw a man matching the suspect’s description running from the Trailblazer into an apartment, where police set up a perimeter. Huey said officers contacted a known resident of the apartment, an acquaintance of the suspect, and believed the man was alone inside.

The Central Oregon Emergency Response Team (CERT) was activated and responded to assist the barricaded subject, Huey said. Residents of this building were evacuated and other nearby residents were warned by text or phone emergency alerts to stay indoors; a local resident said the same message was broadcast over a loudspeaker, so others would be aware.

Huey would not say if the suspect was suspected of being armed or if weapons were found, only that action taken, including CERT calling and alerts, is taken when there is a “increased danger in contacting a suspect”.

The man was in communication with CERT at one point, she said, and shortly before 3 p.m. came out on his own and was arrested without further incident.

He was taken to Deschutes County Jail in Bend, where records showed he was being held without bail for parole and probation violations. He also faces several new charges, including one count of first-degree robbery, three counts of second-degree robbery, three counts of unlawful entry into a motor vehicle and a single count of reckless driving and reckless endangerment. .

Huey said the investigation is continuing and may result in additional charges.

She said Redmond police wanted to thank CERT, the Bend Police Department, the Deschutes and Jefferson County Sheriff’s Offices and the Oregon State Police for their assistance in the investigation.


About Author

Comments are closed.